Sunday, November 13, 2011

Kyles Open Source blog thing woo!

Open source to me is a program that is open to the public, because that's what it is. When something is open source it isn't worked on by just a small group of people controlling it, it is worked on by everyone who wants to. One of the best things about it is that open source programs are free to anyone. Open source also is great for developers because open source software allows you to retain not just the right to use the software you already have, but the ability to continue to use it as your needs change. There is no going out of business and stopping your product from being produced.

For the end-user open source is also a great thing. We as the end users get the software for free to use and change. We can download it, change it, develop it, or just use it as it is. And with developers making open source programs mostly out of acclaim from peers and others, they will continue to create cool software for are benefit.

One open source program I love is Mozilla Firefox. Why? Because it is the internet explorer killer and that makes me happy. I am a web designer and I know the horrors of using IE. To watch all your hard work just not show up is saddening and Firefox fixes that. Most everything with Firefox works when speaking in terms of web development and that's what you want. Firefox is free, open source, and gaining popularity. It is the most popular browser and I expect it to be the most popular open source software. Firefox makes up for around 39% of all browsers in use with Chrome to at 32%. Firefox is cool beans and I hope you think so to, or at least don't use IE...please.

2 comments:

  1. Good explanation of open source. I agree Firefox is awesome, even though it had some bugs in some of the previous versions. Chrome is on-par with it but I don't think it displays content *quite* as accurately as Firefox. Not to mention the whole blue look with Chrome on Windows XP (or any non-fancy UI OS) is horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like Firefox, it is my main browser but there are definitely things about Chrome that I enjoy. Its really sleek and simple and it does seem to load much faster than Firefox.

    The fact that Firefox can have tools and apps developed for it is really cool. Its the main advantage of it being open source, though those apps tend to slow it down so its a give and take.

    ReplyDelete